The sudden death of Amy Winehouse, as well as consequent reaction by many is a sad reminder for me of how judgmental and quick people are to reach conclusions. To determine the worth of another human being and to not truly put themselves in their place before spouting vitriol.
Mental health and addictions are far more complicated and deep than something people just need to suck it up, pull on their big kid pants and get over. They are not deliberate and attempts to piss off family, friends or outside world at large. I believe strongly in a mind body connection of physical health and longevity and mental. Why do some people that have deadly illnesses such as Cancer or AIDS outlive their doctor foretasted timeline, while others who receive same exact quality of treatment pass immediately? Because of mental will. It is hard thing to have and maintain in a world hell bent on breaking you down. Not everyone is strong enough. As simple and complicated as that. But to diminish them and their pain, and use world wide tragedies such as Norway as a self righteous pulpit? Disgusting. I have lost two friends to suicide. I know addicts. All of these people on their good days so to speak were more giving, kind, hard working as I could ever imagine. Not deadbeat, losers wanting attention and glory. I just wish people would be a bit more understanding. By the grace of god go all of us. To say that "could never be me" Well nobody ever says I want to be homeless one day, or sick. Yet these things happen to very good people. Ones with stories and goals and abilities. They are not just there to bother or annoy you. Nor are those suffering from addictions and mental illnesses. It creeps up slowly and is a result of a chain of events. We can't all crawl out. Why is empathy so dead? Empathy isn't feeling sorry and coddling like a child either. It is just a level of respect for another human being and taking that extra moment to contemplate there is so much more than first reaction. Shouldn't be so much to ask but it is.
It hurt me to hear of this news not cause I am a crazy fan girl. I didn't even follow her that closely truth be told. But my soul does ache a bit for whatever torment she felt, as well as her family as they likely tried but couldn't do enough. I have seen both sides of that equation and know what it is like. I have loved an addict, seen my own mother in a co dependent relationship and battled my own anxiety and control issues. Would love a simple band aid to make it all better if nothing else to placate the world and just not feel like a hassle but again, it is not that simple.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment